This is Lili's OLD WEBSITE! Go to liliwilkinson.com.au for the shiny, better, more up-to-date, awesome version.

13 March 2008

iPod shame

Today, for the first time ever, I experienced iPod shame.

Now, I'm generally quite proud to have some unusual things on my iPod. I have a large collection of songs from Sesame Street, for instance, that I treasure*. I'm even willing to admit I have a couple of George Michael songs on there.

But recently I've been delving back into the 90s. Why? Good question. It's certainly not because it was an era of musical genius, that's for sure. The reason is because I'm writing a book that contains elements of autobiography, so I'm trying to remember what it was like being 16 year old Lili. This process has also involved reading lots of old diaries and letters (the POETRY! save me from the POETRY!!!), and watching TV shows like this on DVD.

So I managed to get my hands on some Top 40 hits like this one. And this one. And this one. Oh, and this one.

So this morning I was sitting on the bus. Listening to my iPod. And a new song came on. And I looked down at my iPod, and saw this. And I quickly turned it over to hide the screen, because I Had A Shame. Please don't judge me.

Oh, and just to make you feel old: that baby, on the cover of the Nirvana album up there? His name is Spencer Elden. He's 17 now. Doing his final year of high school in LA.

_____________________________
*Who wouldn't want Steve Tyler singing I Love Trash? Come on, people.

8 comments:

Christopher Miles said...

I don't know what's more shocking: being reminded of East 17 (who I always mixed up with E.M.F.) or your suggestion that the 90s were a bad era for music...

Or is it that the highs (I'm thinking Radiohead, Bjork, Breeders, Beck, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Beastie Boys, Pavement, Ween, to name a few) weren't quite able to cleanse your memory of the lows (Aqua, Shaggy, the Macarena)?

lili said...

at one point there were FOUR VERSIONS of the macarena in the top 40.

shudder.

but you're right. there was awesome music in the 90s. but not so much of it found its way into the top 40. not that it ever does, i suppose...

Anonymous said...

If I'd been sitting next to you as a stranger, and I'd seen that on your iPod, I think milk would have come out my nose. Seriously.

James
(I can't remember my blogger login)

Anonymous said...

I know Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill aren't entirely interchangeable, but Family guy did a very funny parody in a recent episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b2opOcs9rY

James (nope, still don't remember my login.)

limeywesty said...

Lili, I won't judge you... but I will TRY and make you feel better...
um... the piano for that song is pretty good. Actually, it might even be great.
But, I have to go before I comment on the lyrics/ singing/ hat....

Anonymous said...

I rather like that East 17 song. :-(

Anonymous said...

I have to say 'Thank You'.... I have just spent the last 30 minutes listening and watching ALL of the East 17 clips on Youtube.....(you move me baby, deep deep down.... I remember playing that song over, and over, and over again sitting in my bedroom as a teenager)!!

Emma said...

I browsed the links yesterday, but then woke up at 3.30 in the morning with the Dawson's Creek sountrack stuck in my head. Gee, thanks Lili :)