This is Lili's OLD WEBSITE! Go to liliwilkinson.com.au for the shiny, better, more up-to-date, awesome version.

11 June 2009

Angel Fish

I have two books coming out this year - Pink in August, and Angel Fish in September.

I've been working on Angel Fish for a couple of years now. It's about the Children's Crusade, which happened (maybe) in 1212, where a shepherd boy called Stephen decided that the only thing that would liberate Jerusalem from the Infidel was the purity and innocence of Children. He raised an army of 10 000 children, marched over the Swiss Alps (where a bunch of them died, due to a lack of important cold-weather gear like, um, shoes), and got to Genoa, where he said the ocean would part before him and they would walk across the ocean floor to the Holy Land.

This was problematic for two reasons: a) Greece was in the way; and b) it didn't work.

But two nice men called William the Iron and Hugh the Pig turned up and said that they were rich merchants who TOTALLY believed in the children's cause, and that would charter a bunch of ships to take the kids to the Holy Land. And Stephen said "well, of course that's exactly what I meant when I said the ocean would part." And off they went.

Except William and Hugh weren't merchants at all. They were PIRATES, and sold all the kids into slavery.

It's a feel-good kind of novel. I'll be posting the cover and an excerpt in weeks to come.

4 comments:

james roy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What excellent timing, my mother is visiting at the end of September so can bring me a copy :)

Sue Bursztynski said...

Lili, you can find my review of PINK on my blog, The Great Raven (http://suebursztynski.blogspot.com). I'll put the book in my library and let you know what the kids say when some of them have read it.

Sue Bursztynski

angelfish water said...

This is the first time I’ve read about this. I keep learning new things everyday!