This is Lili's OLD WEBSITE! Go to liliwilkinson.com.au for the shiny, better, more up-to-date, awesome version.

10 October 2007

Advertising and Bunnies

My parents always mute the TV and go and do something whenever the ads come on. I do too. Most of the time.
Except ads are getting... well... really good.
Advertising companies are obviously hiring some fresh-thinking film school graduates to make amazing, expensive, innovative short films with brands attached. Like that (and I can't believe I'm saying this) that Golden Arches ad where all the kiddies climb out of the grown-ups tummies. And the eBay one with the shopping trollies and the snow (although I kinda don't like the way it implies that when you buy so
mething from eBay, it's never what you expected).
But my very favourite ads are the Sony Bravia ads*. You know, the first one was all the millions of little bouncy balls bouncing their rainbowy goodness down hills in San Francisco? And the one with the building being demolished with layers of coloured paint exploding out of each floor as it went?
The think I like the most about these ads is they REALLY do them. They really did let a million coloured bouncy balls loose in SF. And they really did explode a building full of paint. Bugger all this CG nonsense (sorry, Gollum).
Well now there's a new one. And it has bunnies in New York.
_______________________________
*due to my leftiecommiepinko guilt at essentially giving Sony some free promotion, I need to link to this article about how plasma screens are really bad for the environment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cool! Thanks for the link I hadn't heard this ad was out. And how freaky is it to be voluntarily spreading ads to people?

Penni Russon said...

Have you ever noticed that plasma tvs are always the example given by grouchy boomers about the reason Gen Y can't afford to buy houses (because they're all so determined to buy plasma tvs). meanwhile i actually don't know anyone under the age of 35 with one.

I don't watch tv because I have serious addictive personality isses, but I had seen the first sony one and thought it was a-MAY-zing. So thanks for the link and images of the others, the bunny one is so CUTE. Must show Fred later.

Anonymous said...

I just love that little bouncy ball ad with the José Gonzáles song. Beautiful. This may sum me up here but I seriously thought there was some freaky cg stuff going on - I mean no one would seriously let 40 million trillion little bouncy balls go down a steep hill in San Fran right? Man, they must have been collecting those suckers for days!!

Anonymous said...

Years even.

meli said...

oh i love the bouncy balls. and the song too. always makes me happy. the bunnies are cute too - thanks for pointing them out!

Anonymous said...

The eBay one is interesting, because the first place I go when I see that ad isn't 'Why are all those underdressed people wandering around in the snow?' or 'Wouldn't going barefoot in the snow be really painful?' or even 'A shopping trolley with a crazy chick in it wouldn't stay upright on a bobsled run,' but quite simply: 'WTF? How come there are shopping trolleys at the top of a ski resort?'