This is Lili's OLD WEBSITE! Go to liliwilkinson.com.au for the shiny, better, more up-to-date, awesome version.

10 July 2006

Memories of working in a bookshop...

I just posted this as a comment on Literary Gas, and because tonight I will be taking Rita to her puppy school graduation ceremony (yes, I'm serious), it can be the blog post that I meant to write tonight...

my working-in-a-bookshop story:

me: Hi, can I help you?

she: (in a peculiar accent that you only find in shopping centres some distance from the city) Yeah. You know that man who wrote Lord of the Rings?

me: (dubiously) ye-es.

she: What's his latest book?

me: He's dead.

she: No, no. There's a new one. There was a thing in the Herald Sun.

me: No. He's dead. He's been that way for quite some time.

she: There's a new book!

me: (trying to be helpful) There's a movie.

she: (scowling) I'm not stupid.

me: (thinking of her brother and his baseball bat) Oh, no.

she: It's called The Goblin.

me: (sigh)...

she: What?

me: It's called The Hobbit.

she: Whatever. Do you have it?

me: Sure. But he's still dead.

4 comments:

Dr Philm said...

Are you sure he's dead? I seem to remember an interview with him on Today-Tonight last year asking his thoughts on Charles Dickens' latest work, "The Bleak House". You know, the one inspired by the mini-series of the same name,

Boy that Dickens can write! If only his next book could be as good as that Dan Brown fellow!

lili said...

She's a bleak----house
Mighty might just lettin' it all hang out
She's a bleak----house
The lady's stacked and that's a fact,
Ain't holding nothing back.

(yeah, I've been waiting for an opening for that)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I was working in the book section at Myer when the LotR movies first started coming out. That was fun. Spent a while trying to explain to one lady that the Lord of the Rings was not a true story, and yes, I was quite sure - and yes, it definitely wasn't just based in the middle ages.

Dr Philm said...

Curse you Lili! I've been humming the tune to 'Bleak House' all day!!!

"She's A Bleak---House" Oww!
"She's after Money!"
"A real London Honey"
"She's a Bleak---House" yeah!